Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Picture Books


How do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?

Author: 

Jane Yolen

Illustrator: 

Mark Teague




Grade Level:

K-2

          This is a short picture book with a small amount of text. Some of the words and concepts could be used and made more challenging for grades K-2.

Summary:

          This book is about the trials and tribulations that the caregivers of the dinosaurs in the story go through. Through the illustration sequence and accompanying text, we learn that even though the caregivers are annoyed with the childlike behavior of the dinosaurs, they always love them. The theme of unconditional love is conveyed throughout the book.

How Do Dinosaur Say I Love You?  In the Classroom:

One lesson that can be taught using this book is rhymes, because the book using a rhyming scheme throughout.

This book can also be used in science when teaching about dinosaurs, because all the dinosaurs in the book are real. A chart at the beginning and end of the book has all of the dinosaurs contained in the book and their names.

ESOL Strategies:

          One strategy that can be used that would benefit ESOL students in rhyming is choral reading. By having the whole class read the text, the ESOL student can hear the rhyming words out loud. Choral reading also allows the student to have the opportunity to participate with a large group and not be singled out individually.

Audio technology is also a way the ESOL student can begin to understand the text. The teacher can record themselves reading the book, allowing an ESOL student to listen while looking at the text. This allows the student to listen to the text as many times as they need to in order to understand it.

Read Aloud:

          Because this book is short with limited text I would read the entire book aloud.


Personal Opinion:

          I thought this book was an average picture book. I thought that the illustrations were not up to par with how imaginative the story was. I really enjoyed the theme of unconditional love and how the dinosaurs acted like young children. I think it is neat that a 5 year old can read this book and relate to prehistoric creatures. I also really enjoyed the text and how it was almost “sing-song”. I would probably have this book on hand in my classroom because it allows for a number of different lesson plans.






I love you as Big 
as the World


Author:

Davis Van 
Buren


Illustrator: 

Tim Warnes



 Grade Level: 

PK-K

          This is a short book with a lot of repeated vocabulary which is appropriate for beginning readers.

Summary:

          This picture book shares the story of the love between and bear and her cub. The illustrations use thin faded lines and muted soft colors which give a mood of tranquility and peace. The text is written like concrete poetry which offers movement to the story.

I Love You as Big as the World in the classroom:

I would use this book to teach the beginnings of using adjectives. Since there are many describing words in the book, I would point these out and add them to a word wall to use in the classroom every day.

I would also create a lesson about concrete poetry. As a class, I would ask the students to look at each page and how the text is written. I would then ask the students why they think the author wrote it this way.

I Love You as Big as the World ESOL strategies:

          One thing I would do for ESOL students is create a word sheet for this book with the high frequency words that are used in the book. The word sheet would have the word in English and the word in their native language. This allows them to become familiar with what the word means because they can relate it to the word they already know in their native language. Also, I would focus all of their attention on one page at a time. This will prevent the student from becoming overwhelmed because each page has only 6-7 words, and many of these words repeat throughout the book.

Read Aloud:

          I would read the whole book aloud. It is short with limited text. I would then divide the class into groups and have each group read one page aloud together, so then the class will be able to hear the story aloud twice and, the second time, be a part of it.

Personal Opinion:

          I really like this picture book. The illustrations and the text make it a sweet book that really expresses the love a parent has for a child. I also love that it is a good selection for the younger students whom I plan to teach one day. I think I Love You as Big as the World would be a wonderful book to use in a guided reading group.







Duck 
for President

Author: 

Doreen Cronin

Illustrator: 

Betsy Lewin



Grade Level

2nd – 4th

          I think the social studies and civics concepts that can be taught with this book would be appropriate in 2nd through 4th grade classes.

Summary:

          The main character, Duck, is discontent with his daily chores on the farm so, with the help of the animals, he has an election to oust Farmer Brown and become in charge of the farm. In a whirlwind of political mayhem, Duck ends up becoming the president the United States. In the end, Duck realizes that being in charge is harder than his life was at the farm, so he leaves the White House to write his autobiography.




Duck for President in the classroom:

Duck for president offers many opportunities to teach students about the political process.  One lesson can address elections and voting. The students can have their own election to determine the class mascot or to choose a class pet.
One lesson can teach about the different levels of government from local officials to the President of the United States.

ESOL strategies with Duck for President:

When teaching ESOL students about the political system in America, make sure to fill in any gaps they might have that you might consider common knowledge. For example, a student new to the United States may not know that each state has a governor. Explain directions on how you want things done thoroughly and repeat it as many times as needed to make sure you are understood.
Read Aloud:

          I would read the entire book aloud. There are certain parts of the books I would go over when I am trying to teach certain concepts about elections or voting.
Personal Opinion:

          Duck for President is one of my favorite picture books of all time. I have had my own copy of it for years. I love that the illustrations work so well with the story. I also love that the book offers a way to teach politics without being political. It lends itself to so many learning opportunities even though primarily it is a funny story about a duck not wanting to do chores. I will definitely have this book in my classroom library and I am proud to say that I have it in my personal library.



A Visitor for Bear

Author:

Bonny Becker

Illustrator:

Kady 
MacDonald Denton





Grade Level:

Kindergarten and 1st grade
A Visitor for Bear is a wonderful book for kindergarten and 1st grade because the story is easy to follow when being read aloud, and it offers learning opportunities appropriate for that age group.

Summary:

The main character, Bear, likes to be alone. A mouse starts to show up all over Bear’s house, infuriating him. In the end, Bear learns that he likes having Mouse as a friend.

A Visitor for Bear in the classroom:

One lesson that A Visitor for Bear lends itself to is teaching students about the importance of building friendships, even with the most unlikely of people
Another lesson that can be taught in this book is the use of dialogue. Bear and Mouse have dialogue between them, offering the ability to teach about quotation marks and how they are used.



ESOL strategies with A Visitor for Bear:

          Because A Visitor for Bear is so dialogue driven, it offers a wonderful opportunity for the students to create a reader’s theatre activity, which is very helpful for ESOL student’s comprehension.

Another strategy is to allow the ESOL student to go on a picture walk through the book before the teacher reads it to the class. This allows them the ability to make predictions about what is going to happen in the story before they read aloud.

Read Aloud:

I would read this entire book aloud. I may pick a couple of parts to stop briefly for the students to make predictions throughout the book.


Personal Opinion:

I really enjoyed A Visitor for Bear. The theme of the book is clearly brought across by the expressive dialogue and the use of textured illustrations. I always love books with the theme of friendship and how important it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment